10Aug 2007 by Blahman No Comments
React and Act! is a funny icebreaker in which players randomly select a sheet of paper that has an occurrence on it (for example, winning a million dollars in the lottery) and they must react to the occurrence using animated expressions, gestures, and words. After a set amount of time, other players try to guess what happened that caused those reactions and actions.
React and Act is an active icebreaker game that can work with a variety of group sizes. It can work for small groups of five people, or adapted for very large groups by selecting volunteers. This game is best played indoors. Materials required include paper, pens, and a bag. React and Act works with all ages, including adults.
Setup for React and Act
React and Act involves some preparation; however, this is part of the fun! Pass out sheets of paper and pens to the players. Have each person write an event. Tell them to be creative! Examples of events can include:
- Being surprised by a large, aggressive bear in the woods
- You just won the lottery
- You have just been proposed for marriage with an engagement ring
- You just got fired by an incompetent boss
- Making the game winning pass to win the Superbowl
- You just fell in love
Once everyone writes an event, fold the paper once and place it into the bag. Divide the group into two teams (or select five volunteers if it is a very large group).
Instructions for How to Play
Ask five people on each team to randomly select an event from the bag. Instruct them to react to this event, without explicitly giving away what the event is. Choose a time limit (usually 30 seconds to a minute works well) and when you say “Go!”, have all five people to simultaneously react to their event using exaggerated gestures, facial expressions, and their voice.
For example, the person who has just won the lottery could raise his or her arms and scream excitedly, jumping up and down. The person who has just confronted a bear might make a terrified look, shake in fear, and call for help. And so on. Each of the five actors can interact with each other, but they must stay “in character” and continue reacting and acting based upon what their sheet said.
After time expires, the other members of the team try to guess what happened for each person. If you wish to keep score, each team gets a point for each correct guess. This game is a great way to break the ice, while watching people act out silly (and usually hilarious) things.
Variations to Try
There are many variations to React and Act that changes the way the game is played. Try experimenting with these and see whether you like them.
- No talking allowed, but noises are okay. This increases the difficulty of the game by a lot, but it can be more hilarious.
- Narrator explains the event before each person acts.
If you've never played Charades before, you've missed out on loads of fun. Fortunately, it is never to late to LEARN TO PLAY. It's a great fun game and easy to learn! If you are familiar with this awesome game, then we have loads of fun stuff for you along this page!
This hilariously funny team game that originated in France in the 16th Century is still an undoubted party favorite today! The perfect party word guessing game for 6 or more players of all ages.
There are a vast number of topics for this game and it's our happy task to provide you with charades ideas for as many of them as we can produce.
Adult charades is a sure way to fire up any fun night or dinner party with friends. Kids charades is a great game for birthday parties and any other time when you have to keep the kids busy. Charades is the ideal all-round party game. Also great to use as a fun teaching method!
On the following pages you will find Adult, Christmas, Kids, Silent, even Baby Shower Charades and more. Welcome to Charade World where you'll find a "host" of fun charades games for every occasion!
'You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.'
- A timer.
- A score sheet and pencil.
- Charade cards.
- Snacks & drinks and you are ready to GO!
The goal is to act out a word or phrase or to pantomime similar sounding words to your team members within a specific time frame. Your team must guess the word or phrase correctly by means of the signals or clues that you provide, before time runs out!
The RULES OF CHARADES are informal and can be adapted to group preferences a few basic rules apply and are generally agreed upon.
If your guests are familiar with the game, GREAT! If not, it is a kind gesture to provide them with one of these printable sheets with the most commonly used CHARADE CLUES, SIGNALS or GESTURES.
Kids Charades Cards
The following charades ideas will help you to plan fun games for any event.
- ADULT CHARADES - Liven up dinner parties or simply have a fun games night with friends that will be hard to forget. Free printable charade cards.
- KIDS CHARADES - The perfect fun game for kids parties, kids camps and keeping kids entertained at basically... any event. Free printable charade cards.
- SILENT CHARADES - The quick charades game, ideal for parties and groups. A game with an interesting twist to keep things FUN. Free printable charade cards.
- WATER CHARADES - A fun charades game played in water! Ideal for pool parties, large groups or just a few people. This game is seriously challenging, yet so much fun and will definitely have a few very tired! Free printable charade cards.
- CREATE CHARADES CARDS - Print the blanks and write your own words and/or use words and phrases from our Charades Ideas List.
- FREE PRINTABLE CHARADES CARDS - Print any of our charades cards for free from this complete list of charades topics.
A FUN MEAL FOR A CHARADES GAMES NIGHT!
Spice up your Charade Night with a GREAT FAJITA RECIPE! There are literally hundreds, but this is my favorite!
Why? It's great in taste, allows me to work out exactly what I need to buy for the amount of guests PLUS guests create their own fajita's - more time to play fun games!
Don't forget the salsa, sour cream, freshly chopped lettuce and guacamole!
Fun Charades Games
Fun Games Like Charades
There are literally hundreds, these are recommended fun games that are based on this popular game, each with their own very unique twist.
Best Charades Games
- GUESSTURES - High speed charade at its best. Get ready for hilarious family games nights. Ages: 8 yrs and UP.
- CRANIUM - Cranium games are the most popular and best known charade games around, there are over 200 each with their own unique fun thermometer for every age.
- TIME'S UP - Charade with optional 4th round rules, a cool electronic timer, rules for odd number of players.
- HOOPLA - Charade with an extra 10-sided die and 3 wild tokens. A cross between party and card game. Ages: 13 and UP.
- SNAPPLE - Fast-paced and refreshingly fun charades. Think of it as a bottomless bottle of snapple filled with facts instead of flavor.
- ELECTRONIC CHARADES - Cranium's POP 5 and Cranium Turbo Edition as well as Electronic Guesstures are highly recommended.
- FUN GAMES LIKE CHARADES - Amazon carry a huge number of charade games, check out all our top rated ones here!
Need Charade Ideas, Words, Cards, Clues, Suggestions or Rules?
This is the place to ASK and TELL anything and everything about Charades!
Do you have great Charades topics, words, phrases, clues or fun games and rules to share? This is the place to SHINE with your Charades Skills and Knowledge!
Do you need NEW charades ideas? Perhaps require suggestions for charade words or phrases for a specific topic or event? Do you need suggestions for gestures? Want to ask someone how they would act out or pantomime a certain word? Do you need clarification on a rule?
Whatever it is that you need to make your CHARADES GAMES fun and unique - this is the place to ask!
Are you a CHARADES MASTER? Please share your tips and charade ideas!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see other Charade ideas, questions, and answers.
Adult Charades | Kids Charades | Silent Charades | Water Charades | Rules for Charades | Charades Gestures | Free Charades Cards | Fun Games |
Shop for Charades Games
'SEE YOU BACK HERE SOON FOR MORE ADDED CHARADE IDEAS!'
This fun family and adult version of charades is perfect for camping or a picnic during the holiday! Help yourself to an easy to download and print game by clicking on the image to the left now! Oh and don't forget to check out all the other amazing printable games!
Get the printable holiday games pack + Free printable NEW YEARS GAMES during December 2015!!
Just click on the image to the left right now!!
Dance Charades Game: Do you like to dance? Do you like to have fun with your friends and laugh until you cry? If the answers to one of these questions is yes, then you will experience a new kind of fun with Dance Charades... just click on the image to the left to read more.
Picture Charades makes it easy for the wee ones to act out! The best part - the pictures are open to interpretation, and it's up to the children to decide what they are supposed to be acting.
Fun with communication with the original hilarious team game of Charades. Discover why a game created in 16th Century France is still a party favorite! The categories to act out are Movies, Songs, Cliches, TV, Books, and Oxymorons. Game comes with over 2,000 titles, clock timer, score cards, die, pencil, and game instructions.
Six card decks featuring easy and challenging charades, and charades for different tastes and interests, the Family Charades In-A-Box Compendium is perfect for your next family game night. Three sand-timers and a jumbo dice add an element of surprise, so you'll never know what is coming next! Gather around the family living room, slide the coffee table out of the way, and act your heart out! You'll be laughing, cheering, and groaning as teams battle their way to the charades hall of fame.