|LEO: Literacy Education Online|
Writing a Process Essay
What to consider when writing a process essayA process paper either tells the reader how to do something or describes how something is done. As you write your process essay, consider the following:
- What process are you trying to explain? Why is it important?
- Who or what does the process affect?
- Are there different ways of doing the process? If so, what are they?
- Who are the readers? What knowledge do they need to understand this process?
- What skills/equipment are needed for this?
- How long does the process take? Is the outcome always the same?
- How many steps are there in the process?
- Why is each step important?
- What difficulties are involved in each step? How can they be overcome?
- Do any cautions need to be given?
- Does the process have definitions that need to be clarified?
- Are there other processes that are similar and could help illustrate the process that you are writing about?
- If needed, tell what should not be done or why something should be done.
- Process papers are often written in the second person (you), but some teacher prefer that you avoid this. Check with your teacher.
Your responses to these questions and statements should enable you to write an effective process essay.
Suggested transition words to lead readers through your essayProcess essays are generally organized according to time: that is, they begin with the first step in the process and proceed in time until the last step in the process. It's natural, then, that transition words indicate that one step has been completed and a new one will begin. Some common transitional words used in process essays are listed below:
|After a few hours,||Immediately following,|
|At last||In the end,|
|At the same time,||In the future,|
|Before||In the meantime,|
|Before this,||In the meanwhile,|
|Currently,||Last, Last but not least, Lastly,|
|Finally,||Next, Soon after,|
|First, Second, Third, etc.||Previously,|
|First of all,||Simultaneously,|
A Sample Process Essay
Kool-Aid, Oh yeah!
It has been said that Kool-Aid makes the world go 'round. Let it be advised, however, that without the proper tools and directions, the great American beverage is nothing more than an envelope of unsweetened powder. There are five simple steps to create this candy-tasting concoction.
Picking the proper packet of flavoring is the first step in making Kool-Aid. Check the grocer's shelf for a wide variety, ranging from Mountain Berry Punch to Tropical Blue Hawaiian. If it is a difficult decision for you, knock yourself out and buy two. The packets usually run under 65 cents.
After choosing the flavor that best suits your taste buds, the second step is making sure that your kitchen houses some necessary equipment for making the Kool-Aid. Find a two-quart pitcher. Plastic is nice, but glass pitchers allow the liquid to shine through and add festive coloration to any refrigerator shelf. Next, find a long-handled wooden spoon, a one-cup measuring cup, a water faucet that spouts drinkable water, usable white sugar, and an ice cube tray full of ice. Then, you are ready to mix.
Third, grab the left edge of the Kool-Aid packet between your thumb and index finger. With your other hand, begin peeling the upper-left corner until the entire top of the envelope is removed. Next, dump the contents of the envelope into the pitcher. Notice how the powder floats before settling on the bottom of the pitcher. Then, take the measuring cup and scoop two cups of sugar into the pitcher as well. At this point, adding the water is a crucial step. Place the pitcher under the water faucet and slowly turn on the cold water. If the water is turned on too quickly, powder will fly all over when the initial gusts of water hit. After the pitcher is filled within two inches of the top, turn the water off and get prepared to stir. With the wooden spoon submersed three-quarters of the way in the liquid, vigorously stir in a clockwise motion until all of the powder is dissolved. Taste it. If the Kool-Aid is not sweet enough, feel free to add more sugar.
Fourth, when you are finished seasoning the Kool-Aid to your liking, rinse off the spoon and the measuring cup. Take a glass from the cupboard. An eight-ounce glass is usually sufficient. But stronger thirsts might prefer a 32-ounce mug. Add ice and then fill the glass with Kool-Aid. Find a comfortable chair, put your feet up, and drink away. After all, Kool-Aid makes the world go 'round.
Return to the Write Place Catalogue
For questions and suggestions, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Last update: 28 September 1997
Collect several good essay ideas related to the field of personal interest à Take notes during the process of research à Develop an outline à Make a draft à Revise & submit a final paper to the teacher.
Sounds easy? This simple example is enough to get an overall idea of how to write a process essay. It does not matter whether a writer describes and explains a long-lasting process or a short action. It would be a process analysis essay.
GRAB YOUR PERSONAL WRITER
If you want to understand how to write a process essay, the best solution is turning for help to the professional academic essay writers with a rich writing experience. Another option is to review this article, which contains everything a student should know before writing an academic essay of this type.
What Is a Process Essay?
Before learning how to write a process essay of A level, it is critical to define the term. A process analysis essay refers to the type of academic writing, which contains a detailed description of the particular process in the shape of the step-by-step guide. This form of essay is popular in business & technical writing too. Some of the best examples of process essays include:
- Instruction/owner’s manual
- User’s guide
- “How to…” articles
- Security instructions
The student should test the process himself before writing instruction or manual. It would be the best answer to the question, “What is a process essay?”
How to Write a Process Essay: Outline, Introduction, Body, & Conclusion
Process Essay Outline
There is not much to say about the process essay outline because the structure repeats the steps required to complete a certain procedure. Having an outline is helpful in any situation associated with academic writing. Put down every stage in chronological order. Once the student has an outline, he/she may later add some details depending on the process development to come up with the whole body. The structure is common:
- Introduction paragraph (mention the process to discuss)
- Body paragraphs (list the stage and provide details)
- Conclusion (specify what the expected outcome should be + share some success indicators)
The length of the essay depends on whether the chosen procedure is time-consuming or not. Do not pick something extra fast not to have a few-sentences essay in the end.
Process Essay Introduction
It does not matter whether the essay is describing the way to get chocolate out of milk and coconuts, explaining the procedure of vaccination, or interpreting the steps required to write a book – it is important to identify the target audience from the start! If it is an average user, avoid difficult terms. In case you write to satisfy the curiosity of the advanced users, do not mind to include various professional terms to prove your competence in the chosen field.
Do not worry about the structure. The best thing about this type of academic assignment is that the step-by-step process itself provides a student with the correct structure. Still, experts recommend having an outline.
Start the opening paragraph by determining the analyzed procedure and share personal ideas on why this specific process is interesting & important to observe. It is not necessary to cover the history or background of the discussed procedure.
Example of Process Essay Paragraph
Do not include any details that do not relate to the process itself. If the required tools & equipment are rare, tell the reader some ways to get these resources. Write down the warnings about the possible safety hazards to prevent the reader from falling into the trap/injuring. Describing the steps alone might be dull. To enrich the writing, add the common mistakes to avoid (see example) and provide helpful tips to make the process simpler & quicker.
Add every step in chronological order with the help of clear words. If there are similar steps or those that can be performed at different stages, mention it to acknowledge the reader. To prevent confusing situations/failures, experts recommend subdividing the steps of especially long processes (example: Step 1A, 1B, etc.)
“A process analysis essay always uses the second person – “you.” It sounds more personal, and the reader trusts the writer. Be ready to apply a plenty of transitional words & phrases! They make the procedure description logical and clear to every reader. Try to insert different transitions to prevent the text from being repetitive. During the process of writing the instruction or manual, do the steps described in the text to check whether everything works the way it should before offering the same actions to the target audience.”
Professor Pryce, academic counselor and online writing tutors at NerdyMates
Writing Process Essay Conclusion
By the end of the instruction, the reader/user must be able to repeat the provided actions to activate the process or solve the problem alone. If the reader cannot do that, it means the writer failed to give clear, correct instructions.
Start the concluding paragraph with the short review of the entire process from A to Z - help the readers recall what they were doing, how long, and what the expected results should be. While the body paragraphs provide the detailed interpretation of each stage, a conclusion must contain a single short sentence summarizing every step of the process. It should look like the opening sentence of this article.
Keep in Mind Helpful Process Analysis Essay Tips
While writing this type of academic essay, recall these professional tips & tricks to earn A+!
- Say what you are doing to describe the action – it would be the paper’s topic, precise, clear, and educating. Narrow down the topic if it sounds broad. Example: Instead of calling the instruction “How to Install Windows” make it “How to Install Windows 10 on the most recent Asus models (name them).”
- Get ready with an outline, which is the structure of the essay.
- Name the requirements like the resources, equipment, instruments, stuff, skills, and knowledge the person will need to complete the process. If more than one person is required, mention it.
- Identify technical & professional terms in the text: In case the manual explains a procedure based on special, technical knowledge/skills, such as carpentry, it is better to include the definitions of the specific terms the reader might not know. If your teacher allows, enrich the essay with images, signs, graphs, and tables to explain the word.
- Each good instruction should contain warnings/cautions. List the possible threats & security hazards along with the obstacles the reader may face in the process. Use active voice in this part.
- Finish the manual/instruction with an explanation of what the person should be ready to obtain once the procedure is over (stress the importance of experiment). It is important to list the success factors. Example: “The cooked dumplings should not look tenderized/taste raw.
- Add images & more techniques to let the reader stick to the instructions simpler (for instance, “peach color” may be perceived as various textures by various individuals.”
It is time to discuss the best process analysis essay topics of school & college level!
ORDER PROCESS ANALYSIS ESSAY HERE
30 Stunning Process Essay Topics to Analyze!
Which would be a good topic for a process essay? If the teacher does not give a specific topic, it means the students got lucky to select the processes they know the best. It is a great idea to have a look at the examples of good topics shared by the top college students with our blog. Here we go!
Process Essay Topics for High School
- Fast & furious process of making homemade ice-cream to serve children's desires
- Step-by-step instruction to laundry services
- Making pizza with mozzarella, tomatoes, and sausages becomes easy with this manual
- Installing latest macOS High Sierra on older models of Mac
- Several steps to fix a hole in the wall once it needs a repair
- Simple ways to create & develop a successful character in “Sims”
- Washing the hair properly predetermines its health & overall appearance
- How to make a bob haircut?
- What about the steps to making pinatas for different holidays and special events?
- Is there a secret of organizing the best New Year Corporate Party in the world?
Process Essay Topics for College
- Things that would help a family to decorate its new house in empire style with the minimum financial investments
- Step-by-step instruction to using vehicle services like changing an automobile’s oil/washing a car
- Successful methods to conduct in-depth research to succeed in college writing
- How to prepare a powerful, eye-catching LinkedIn account to attract the best employers from the United States?
- What are the effective ways to become a country’s leader?
- What is the process of grading a college paper of a student?
- The process of vaccinating people from the medical perspective
- The way alcohol-addiction develop on the example of younger, unemployed male population
- Stages every business startup should pass to survive and become successful on the market
- Different phases children from overseas should pass to adapt in the United Kingdom
Interesting Process Essay Topics
- Professional approaches to formatting & editing articles to be published in the local newspapers/magazines/website blogs
- Several effective methods to get ready for the first job interview in the individual’s life
- Things to include in any dish with broccoli to make it taste delicious
- What is the process of launching an e-Commerce/online business?
- What is the process of hunting a wild deer & making a dish out of its meat?
- How do Hollywood celebrities get ready for the red carpet?
- Stages McDonald’s has passed to become world’s leading hamburger and fast food restaurant chain
- Secrets of looking stylish & fashionable having a limited budget
- Things movie directors do before starting to shoot the film
- What is the process of producing oxygen by particular plants?
Can I Get Some Interesting Process Essay Examples?
Here is one of the professional process essay examples shared by the college students who worked on a dental project to gain their PhDs.
Where Can I Get More Process Analysis Essay Topics?
A single example and a full list of topic ideas may be not enough. In case you have a desire to review more free samples of essays, a professional online writing service is ready to share them with every student in trouble. It is possible to find several good samples in the college library or archive where some of the most talented graduates keep their top works to share them with the modern generation. The smartest option is to find the essays written by the famous graduate authors. A student is a lucky one if he studies in the same college with a world’s known essay author. Students can find many examples of essays online by entering the necessary keywords.
Use this list of outstanding process essay topics whenever the teacher gives a right to choose a topic. What if a student still has problems with understanding an assignment? The best option then is to find the official academic company’s service, which offers custom essays & research papers on all possible topics in the world!