If you’re a travel nurse with children or pets—no problem! You can still accept travel assignments. In fact, many travel nurse agencies make it easy for nurses with families to bring their loved ones along on an assignment. Your recruiter will work with you to iron out some of the details. Other aspects of your travel planning will be up to you.
What to think About When Traveling with Your Family
Just like when you embark on an assignment solo, you’ll need to plan before you depart with your family. By thinking about the following well in advance, you’ll save yourself plenty of last-minute headaches. Remember to:
- Work with your travel nursing agency for appropriate housing and amenities. Your recruiter will help set you up with a place to stay during your placement. But you’ll want to make sure it has certain things you’ll need when traveling with your family. For example, does the housing allow pets? How many bedrooms are available? Are laundry facilities on-site, or will you need to travel to a Laundromat? Is there a playground or park nearby? Think of all the features that will help make your life with your family easier while on location.
- Ask your recruiter about family health insurance. He or she can give you all the details you’ll need to ensure you and your family are covered for medical, dental or vision visits.
- Find local doctors ahead of time. In the unfortunate case of an illness or medical emergency, know ahead of time the names of doctors, hospitals, veterinarians, etc. Keep these names and numbers in the contact list in your cell phone. This way, if you, a family member or pet needs care, you’ll save yourself the stress of having to find a provider at the last minute.
- Decide if you’ll need day care services. When traveling with young children, you may require day care while on assignment. If you’re traveling with a spouse, will he or she be available to watch your young children during the day? If not, find out if child care is available right at your facility, or find the names of reputable day care services in the area.
- Plan to drive to your assignment, if possible. This is especially true if you’ll be traveling with a working spouse or multiple children. Having to rely on public transportation can make things more difficult. Having your own, reliable transportation will be a benefit when grocery shopping, running errands, etc. It will also make it easier to transport your family’s supplies to your temporary housing.
- Determine a plan for schooling your children. Your recruiter can help you find enrollment information on local schools. Some travel nurses prefer to homeschool children while on assignment. Another option is to plan your travel nursing jobs for the summer, while your kids are out of school. This is also a great way for your children to have a new and exciting summer vacation. If your child or children are still very young, you always have the option of embarking on your travel career now, before they reach school age.
Benefits of traveling with your children
Travel can be good for kids—it can help them grow and experience new cities and different cultures. Also, they’ll learn to be flexible and how to meet new people. It’s important to remember that not everyone gets the opportunity to see the world in his or her youth—children of travel workers are quite fortunate!
Remember that there is no single solution for the best way to travel with your family. What works for one person may not work for another. By relying on your recruiter for information and support, you’ll be well on your way to an assignment that works for both you and your family.
Are you ready? All aboard!
If you’re currently looking for a travel assignment, check out MedPro Healthcare Staffing. We place travel nurses with temporary positions across the country. Our knowledgeable recruiters will work with you for a placement that matches best with your needs, skills and experience. To learn more, contact MedPro Healthcare Staffing today!
I travel for work and travel abroad for vacations … and I love it! Our world is amazing, and there is still so much more to see!
While working in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I was able to take a four-day trip to Denver, Colorado and I went hiking with one of my college friends in Rocky Mountain National Park!
Boise, Idaho was absolutely beautiful. I was hesitant to go, but was very happily surprised. Best assignment so far!
I took a hike up one of the mountains in Aspen, Colorado. It was a snowy hour-and-a-half of steep incline to get to the top. When I reached the top, the stunning view made it all worth it. Few people get to enjoy this view in person!
Travel Nursing allows my family to explore the country together. We have now visited 28 states and parts of Canada. The last year and a half has made way for some of the biggest memories and most joyous experiences of our lives. We are blessed!
Here are my Travel Nursing sisters at the Hoover Dam. One is an OR nurse in New York City, the other is an ER nurse in San Diego. We are all sisters, all nurses.
I was told that Travel Nursing was not good for people with families. For me, it has been the opposite. My husband's job requires him to travel often. I am so excited for this opportunity with Medical Solutions, but even more, I am so thankful that it has allowed us to be a complete family again.
I moved across the country to take my first travel assignment in Boise, Idaho. When I need a break from the craziness that is my job, there is no lack of breathtaking scenery to gaze upon or beautiful mountains to hike!
My friend and I decided to live outside of our comfort zone for 13 weeks. So, we made the most of our first travel assignment by taking road trips. On our days off, we would drive to San Jose, San Francisco, and Carmel, California. We will always cherish that trip.
I've been loving my Alaska assignment, thanks to Megan with Medical Solutions.
I am a culture enthusiast. While on a travel assignment in Sacramento, California I ate some delicious authentic homemade Greek, Indian, and Filipino food which was a treat from my daily routine. I also made a lot of good friends. A big 'thanks!' to my recruiter Bobby.
My husband and I decided to start living married life by adventuring together. We will be celebrating our first year of marriage in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. We have loved every minute of traveling and experiencing new things together.
Our Cocoa is a great traveler. She has visited Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, and Crazy Horse Memorial. She is going to be one well-traveled dog.
What better way to see the country, be a permanent tourist, advance your nursing skills, and figure out where you want to live when you grow up? Travel Nursing is the best!
This is my first traveling assignment and I am loving every minute of it! This has been a life-changing experience for me. Thank you Medical Solutions!
Through travel nursing I have been blessed with the ability to guide my own career path while also enjoying the limitless adventures at each new assignment. Medical Solutions has been instrumental in advocating for me and my goals in such a stress-free manner. I will always be grateful for everything they have helped me accomplish.
While on a travel assignment in Vancouver, Washington, I visited lovely sights at the waterfalls with other Travelers. An amazing nurse named Shannon took us to the falls. On this same trip, we were close to Oregon, so we visited a beautiful rose garden.
I am so glad to have been able to combine the two things I love most, being a nurse and traveling. I'm thankful for medical solutions for allowing Leonardo to travel with me where ever I go. He has loved exploring the United States as much as I have. Thanks for making my dream come true.
Before I started with Medical Solutions I had never stepped foot in the Pacific Ocean, had lunch on top of a mountain, or stared in awe at the Grand Canyon; this week I did all three.
My husband and I found ourselves chasing our own shadow (literally), while driving on the Native American reservation near Cannon Ball, North Dakota. If you look closely at this photo, you will see that I captured the shadow of our vehicle traveling down the road. I have been traveling with Medical Solutions on and off for two years now, and they are by far my favorite agency! Josh, you rock!
FIND THE PERFECT MATCH FOR YOUR TRAVELING NURSE CAREER.
Finding the perfect Travel Nursing company is a lot like dating. You talk with tons of recruiters in an effort to learn more about the company. But at the end of the day, is there really such a thing as a perfect match for your career? At Medical Solutions, we believe there is.
Hit the road with Medical Solutions and you’ll experience the best service the Travel Nursing industry has to offer, plus the adventure, compensation, and excellent benefits you desire and deserve.