Yesterday Syndicate Bank released a notice to extend its recruitment's online exam date to 25th February 2018. Candidates now have few more days to complete their preparation to crack the examination and get selected for the next phase. The online exam of Syndicate Bank PGDBF Recruitment also have a Descriptive Test of English Writing and many brilliant aspirants fear this test, as they struggle with writing skills. To help you in qualifying the Descriptive Test, in this article we'll discuss all important tips that can help you write effectively in the exam.
As per the official notification of Syndicate Bank PGDBF Recruitment, the Descriptive test is qualifying in nature however, a candidate, must secure minimum marks (50% for general & 45% for SC/ST/OBC/PWD) in descriptive test to qualify for next process viz Interview and Group discussion.
What can be the key to effective writing to score in Descriptive Test ?
- Reading- The more you'll read the more it will become easier for you to express opinions, ideas, and facts in a proper manner. Reading is essential to effective writing.
- Grammar, Spellings, and Punctuation- Take them seriously!! There will be a deduction of marks in case you trip on these three.
- Brush up your knowledge of Current Affairs- There is a high possibility that you'll face a question from one of the trending topics in news, so always stay updated.
You'll have to practice Letter Writing and Essay Writing for Descriptive Test of Syndicate Bank PO PGDBF Online Exam. Try to practice writing a Letter and an essay daily, to improve your writing skills. When you are comfortable with writing on paper, then practice by typing on your personal computer. This much needed and small step will help you prepare with perfection for the exam. In recent competitive exams, we’ve seen letter to the editor and informal letters were the hot topics asked in the descriptive paper. While writing a letter one should keep in mind to write letters that get your message across without the reader calling you for clarification. Letters shouldn't be verbose and usually, in competitive exams, there is a prescribed word limit. Essay Writing can be challenging given the scarce word limit of 150 words in some competitive exams. Yes!! you must practice to write essays in 150 words and 250 words.
You can refer to the following sample of Letter and Essay Writing and get an idea of the format:
24th August 2017
I wish to draw your kind attention towards the increasing incidents of road accidents in our area. The major cause of such incidents is the violation of traffic rules and absence of traffic police on signals. People are in a habit of breaking laws. Everybody on the road seems to be in a hurry.
It is very common that many people talk over mobile while drive and also jump red lights. Over speeding is another cause of road accidents. All these have contributed to the increase in the road accidents. Pedestrians do not feel safe while moving on the road.
It is, requested to take immediate necessary action to check the incidence of road accidents. Traffic police may be deployed on every street to punish those who dare to break the traffic rules.
Q. Write an essay on the Blue Whale Challenge: Targeting Psychology of vulnerable minds in 250 words.
Blue Whale Challenge: Targeting Psychology of vulnerable minds
"Blue Whale Challenge" that was initially a sensationalized hoax, is now believed to have had instances of mimetic self-harming and mimicking groups, leaving immature teenagers at risk of cyberbullying and online shaming. Blue Whale is explained as being based on the relationship between participants (or challengers) and administrators. The administrators command a series of missions that players must accomplish, usually one per day, some of which involve self-mutilation.
The Blue Whale challenge is an online game that pushes teens to commit suicide. Over the past month, a dozen teen deaths have been associated with the game in India and many more across the world. There is need to move discourse from the cause, to address the fundamental mental health vulnerabilities that are getting these kids manipulated by an administrator who slowly works on stimulating dormant suicide ideation in someone with depression.We need a discourse on depression but to do that, there is a necessity to de-hyphenate anxiety from psychosis. We can’t wait for authorities or government to provide solutions, each of us has to do our part to promote better mental well-being in whatever approach possible.
Points To Remember
- Keep the word limit in mind: You can use any short and imaginary address while writing a letter, so you won't run out of words in the main body of the letter. For Essay writing do not try to take too many points as you'll be on a tight word limit of 150 or 250 words.
- Use simple language: There is no need to use heavy vocabulary, the main agenda of descriptive test is to deliver the message appropriately to the reader.
- Avoid grammatical and spelling errors.
- Read newspapers and try to write on a topic daily with a confined word limit to improve your writing skills.
In our effort to provide you all with the latest topics with solved examples and practice exercise set for descriptive writing we bring you A Guide to Descriptive Writing eBook that will prepare you to tackle the questions asked in Descriptive Paper of Syndicate Bank PO Examination with poise. You can get the Descriptive Writing ebook and Descriptive English Video Tutorial from store.adda247.
As per the syllabus of SBI PO 2017-Mains , the phase II of the Exam will consist of Objective and Descriptive Paper. Here, we are going to share some tips on Essay and Letter writing that will help you in SBI PO Mains Exam. In order to prepare for the descriptive Test, one should start his/her preparation at the right time to do well in the Descriptive Paper. You must check out the SBI PO previous year question papers
The nature of the Descriptive exam in itself ignites fear in the mind of most candidates. And when it is combined with English Language the nervousness and the fear has no bounds. Like many, you must also be scared of the English Descriptive test. Therefore to alleviate your fear of English Descriptive Exam, we have come up with the Tips for SBI PO Descriptive Exam. We hope this will help you in your preparation.
First let’s know the details of the Descriptive Exam. It is 60 minutes duration exam consisting of 2 questions – one of Essay writing and the second one is Letter writing. And these combined has been allotted 50 marks. The marks are distributed as follows:
i) Essay Writing – carries 30 Marks
ii) Letter Writing – carries 20 Marks
Essay Writing tips for SBI PO Mains
While writing an Essay the main worry is what should be written in the body of essay?
The Body of Essay should have some of the basic things. These are given below but these should be covered in the order mentioned:
1. Introduction: It should include the Background and the history of the Subject.
2. About: It should include the details, concept, and theory of the Subject.
3. Positives: Here you must state the advantages of the subject which should include various benefits caused to the different sections of the society, Indian economy, women and country overall. At last, state what impact it has worldwide (if any).
4. Negatives: This should be covered carefully and include any harm it has caused / will cause to the people, economy of the country.
5. Suggestions: Here you must mention any improvement in the subject for the better. The suggestion should be good and must reflect positive changes in the future.
6. Conclusion: Here you are required to summarize all the points you have mentioned above.
Important Tips for Essay Writing
1) Take time to choose the subject.
2)You should be familiar with the subject.
3) Think for some time about the subject.
4)Note down all the important points.
5) Be neutral while writing an essay.
Now the common mistakes most people do while writing an Essay:
i) The essay body should be structured. you cannot mention a point on history in the Positives.
ii) You should not criticize government needlessly.
iii) You are mentioning the negatives of the subject but don’t talk about suggestions.
iv) You should not get personal while writing an essay.
v) You should not diverge from the subjecte. if the subject is GST(which is Indirect Tax), you should not write about Direct taxes.
vi) You should not choose the subject,you are not familiar with.
vii) If you are incorporating some fact, then that fact should be accurate.
Letter Writing Tips for SBI PO Mains
The letter which is asked in the SBI PO Mains Exam can be Personal or Business letter.
The most important thing while writing a letter is the format. Now-a-days the most widely used Format is the block style, in which the entire text of the letter begins from the left side.
There are few things you must include in the body of the letter. These are to be followed in order (top to bottom):
1. Date: include the date and day of writing the letter.
2. Sender’s Address: Here you must include sender’s address and email.
3. Inside Address: Here you must include address of the reader, to whom you are sending the letter.
4. Salutation: You must include colon at the end of salutation.
5. Body text: Here state the reason for writing, mention the solution, opinions in case of Business Letter. For Personal Letter, mention here what you are doing in the letter i.e. asking for help, apologizing, inviting someone, complaining or thanking someone.
6. Closing “call to action”: This must include what the reader needs to do in case of Business Letter. And for personal Letter, here give your Love and Regards to the reader.
7. Signature: The closing with which you want to end the letter.
8. Enclosures: Mention enclosure if any
Letter Writing Tips for SBI PO Descriptive Paper
1. Remove unnecessary words i.e. write concisely.
2. Be Complete i.e. mention every detail you want the other person to know.
3. Try to write the letter in Active Voice.
4. Technique and facts mentioned should be accurate.
5. Remember to follow the format of the letter.
To boost your preparation for SBI PO Main 2017 Exam, GradeUp has launched 15 High Level (Tough) Main Tests Pack based on latest pattern. The 1st test of SBI PO Main is free and can be attempted through Below link:
SBI PO Main 15 High Level Mock Tests on latest Pattern - Attempt Now
Stay tuned for latest news and SBI PO notification.